I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Makin' Naan

My son's favorite food is Indian and I am really fond of baking bread so from time to time I think to myself that one day I will have to try my hand at Naan.

The other night I went to Taj Chaat House to get a falooda and I asked the man there how to make Naan at home. He said it is impossible and never done. Why he lied to me, I don't know, but next time I go there I'll have a little discussion with him.

So after doing some research and finding out how simple it is to make amazingly delicious naan bread at home I made my kids chicken tikka masala with rice and naan for lunch today.
The chicken tikka masala was not good because it isn't a simple dish and I really had no idea what I was doing. It wasn't horrible, it just didn't taste like tikka masala.

The naan was pretty amazing though. Especially the one I made with garlic. This bread is so fantastic, as most people know and it really only takes 30 minutes to make including cook time.

I used this recipe:

1 teaspoon of yeast
3 cups of white bread flour
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 tablespoons of low fat yogurt
1 teaspoon of honey
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of warm water

I mixed the water yeast and honey just to let the yeast get going a bit and then I mixed everything else by hand. It's good to let this dough be as sticky as possible - you can add milk if you get brave but I didn't.

You just use a lot of flour on your hands to work with it - you don't have to knead it much - just mix it up and then separate it into balls that you flatten a bit and let rise for twenty minutes.

Then you can cook it in your oven. I used my pizza stone and liked this result. I had the oven at 550 degrees so each bread cooked in about 2 minutes on each side. Put some butter on it right after you take it out.

Yay! Now I can make my boy his favorite bread any time he wants it!

3 comments:

Mark Logan said...

Thanks for posting that. I'm going to try it sometime. I love naan.

Foodie said...

Do you know how to make good tikka masala?

Jodi said...

http://www.khanakhazana.com/recipes/view.aspx?id=1066

I found this recipe for chicken tikka masala after looking online for awhile. I haven't tried it yet. I like it better than others I saw because it has the fewest ingredients and includes nothing that I have to buy at a specialty store. I would substitute cream for the milk, though, based on every other recipe I read.

If you make it, please post about how it turns out!