I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Appetizers Part 2

Thanksgiving was really exciting this year. Let me go back a bit to 2006.

I had just bought and moved into my dream house in my dream neighborhood in my dream part of town. I had spent the summer with my 2 year old and 4 year old at the neighborhood pool every day.

I would load them into the wagon with life jackets and toys, sunscreen and snacks and walk half a block to our own pool. I was in heaven.

I would shop at the Hen House a few blocks away from our house in a state of bliss. I should have stayed there. That was a happy time.

But instead I got a full time job at Sprint, put the kids in full time day care and proceeded to have a full blown mid-life crisis. At 33.

I don't know what this says about my life expectancy but I'm not worried about it. Two years later the mid life crisis was over and I have spent the last couple of months in a haze.

When I don't have the kids I might catch a movie or might just stay home and go to bed early like all other nights. The desire to go out and see the world, meet people, mix it up, have some drinks, etc. etc. had left me and I was back to feeling like Amy.

I like to read books. I like to watch movies. I like to cuddle up with my husband and talk about life before we fall asleep. But wait! I don't have a husband anymore. Oh drats. A terrible side effect of the mid life crisis.

I don't recommend divorce to anyone considering it.

But this Thanksgiving has been exciting. Thursday afternoon was spent drinking with my mother and sister, a new family tradition that we have perfected. We work hard, cooking delicacies for hours or even days and when the food is done and ready to eat we let loose and congratulate ourselves.

And Thursday night I went out for the first time in a rather long while. It was just what I needed. After all, I do love people. It is odd to stay home all the time getting so comfortable with solitude that you forget how much you enjoy others.

Last night was even better. Nothing warms my heart more than spending an evening out with a bunch of other Jews. I met quite a few new people and got to spend some time with my girlfriends. It was a very happy evening for me.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Who's the fat chick in the background at the end of the video?

Cool post. But for the record, no one complained about the pizza rollups. In fact, they were the only thing served the whole day that was all gone--no leftovers at all. Yum!

J. Colwell said...

Umm nothing was said about what appears to be a large jug of Saki?

How far did that make it? :P

Foodie said...

J! Let me tell you, my sis and I did our best to kill that bottle of saki. I don't think we quite managed it but we got very close.