I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Bristol

I happened across the descriptions I wrote of having my children and this made me think of the Bristol.

My Mom's birthday is the day before my daughter's and the night my baby was born Andrew, Noah and I went out to dinner with my parents to celebrate my Mom's birthday.

The truth is, I knew I was in labor and I knew the baby was going to be born later that night or early in the morning.

On the other hand, no one else knew this and even though I wasn't keeping my contractions a secret, no one believed that I was actually in labor.

Since my son was a c-section, the kind you have when your pelvis is too small, there was quite a chance that I'd need another one so I was supposed to refrain from eating when I went into labor in case I would need surgery.

When I look back on that dinner at the Bristol I always smile because it really was an outrageous meal. I remember very clearly that I ordered the roast chicken and gnocchi, a salad and lobster bisque.

I don't remember what anyone else ordered, but I know I tried some of everyone else's meals and I finished off two full glasses of wine - maybe even an additional half glass after that.

My kids really like going to the Bristol, and although it's one of my least favorite restaurants I find it funny to take them there because I always think of that birthday dinner meal.

This is a picture of us standing outside the Bristol right after that meal. The birthday girl is in the background holding Noah and I'm about to drop Grace right there on the sidewalk.

Here's the birth story: http://www.vbac.co.uk/stories/story.php?s=amy

I like it because it comes complete with vivid descriptions of some really gross stuff and includes a peppering of profanity.

No comments: