I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Very Kosher 2009

For a long, long time I have thought about keeping kosher. For those of you who don't know what this means, I'll give you a quick explanation.

1. You know that stuff that has milk in it? Like milk, for example. And butter, and cheese and yogurt... that stuff is generally called dairy and you can't eat any of that if you are having any kind of meat during the same meal.

2. Then there is seafood. The only kind of seafood you can eat is the kind that has both fins and scales. That means no shrimp, lobsters, clams, oysters, eels or shark.

3. Don't eat pig.

Now, there are many other rules and details regarding keeping kosher but I have given you the gist of it and from that you should know that a person who keeps strict kosher is going to have some big trouble eating at American restaurants.

If you know anything about me, you probably know this: I like to claim that I will eat anything.

I don't like to admit there are foods I detest, and there are, but rather I like to focus on the fact that I will eat anything and not complain.

The problem is that for quite some time now all I have wanted was to feel closer to my creator. I think about this every day and grapple with the various commandments and how doing them will bring me right up next to my Parent.

So, quietly, without bothering anyone, I have started taking baby steps toward keeping kosher. Maybe it's one meal a day for now. I'm not sure how things are going to evolve, but it feels like I'm heading in the right direction.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

The easiest way to do it is to go vegetarian.