I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

What I Made for Dinner: January 25, 2009

At some point I expect my sister to get irate with me - or I expect myself to actually post the pictures I have been taking and talk about what the hell I've been eating on here.

I was pondering why I have been totally neglecting my beloved blog and I realized that it is because I'm trying to lose some weight. I do this exactly the opposite way most people do and maybe that's why sometimes I have some success. Instead of making plans and focusing on eating certain things and really getting into a diet, I just quit thinking about food and quit eating so much of it. That's my weight-loss secret. It usually works.

So, if I have the energy, I will post the gorgeous pictures from Friday night's black-tie dinner and explain all about it. It was amazing!!

For now......

Taco bar with yellow rice, sweet corn, and refried black beans.

Aren't tacos great on Sunday nights? Everyone can make his own with exactly what he wants on it. No fighting. Eli doesn't like tacos at all, but he likes to say "MEAT!" and this gives him the opportunity.

I used the leftover flank steak from Thursday night and simmered it in water with taco seasoning until it was ultra-tender.

The rice is, apparently, a federal government-sanctioned recipe. Several years ago, Chuck's office had a nutritionist in as part of an employee health program. (Your tax dollars at work!) Anyway, he brought a bunch of recipes for healthy Mexican cooking, and one of them was for yellow rice with peas, seasoned with turmeric and cilantro and a bunch of other stuff. It's really good.

Yellow Rice with Peas:

2 c low-fat chicken stock
1 c white rice, or sub 1/2 white rice and 1/2 c medium-grain brown rice
1 t turmeric
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. onion powder
1 t dried cilantro
pinch of salt, black pepper to taste
1/2 c. sweet peas, frozen

Bring chicken stock to a boil and add the seasonings and rice; stir well. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, rinse the peas in cold water and drain well. When the rice is done, add the peas and stir to combine. Remove from heat, allow to stand covered 5 minutes to heat peas through.

I make this in a rice cooker and add a little shredded cheddar cheese along with the peas.


(P.S. Will you adopt me? I want to be your kid at dinner time every night. I hope those boys know how lucky they are!)

No comments: