I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Jack

12 years ago I went to the pound in Lawrence and bought a 5 or 6 month old kitten. I named him Jack. He was smart and friendly but I noticed right away that he needed a friend so during a summer picnic at some farm in Topeka, I found a rolly polly little kitten of about the same age and almost the same color - I took him home and named him Joe.

Joe has been gone for a few years now and it has been a lonely life for my old cat. Happily Jack recently made friends with a new cat. But this young guy lives on the Plaza. They don't see each other often, but fate would have it that Jack was staying with him for a few days last week.

Today was the day for me to bring him home. I picked him up this afternoon and was treated to a half hour of the most irritating yowling you have ever heard. I thought continuously about rolling down the window of my car to "let him out" but did not do it. Even when he howled so pitifully that I knew there was something else happening and I watched Jack pee all over the front seat of my car.

Not only did he let loose peeing all over my front seat, but he stared at me while he did it. I heard him thinking, "Mom, this is really stressing me out. I don't like riding in cars." This isn't the first time Jack has peed in the car. Usually he does it while sitting on my lap. My Mother gently reminded me a cat carrier might have helped.

Swearing loudly as I pulled into my driveway I let Jacko out of the car and waited for him to run into the garage and through his cat door into the house.

Next I drove over to pick up the kids. As Grace was climbing into the car she said, "Mom, my seat is all wet!"

"Oh yeah, I guess Jack peed on your car seat. Just a second." I got out and removed the cushioning checking with Noah who assured me his seat was dry.

Grace thought this was hilarious. When she saw her old cat a few minutes later in our kitchen she bent down, giggled and told him, "you peed on my car seat!"

Anyone need a ride anywhere this week?

No comments: