I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Love is Eternal

I read this recently in Time http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1871903,00.html

And I really like how he answered question number 4 and number 10.

4. You seem to have good relationships with all your past girlfriends. How do you do that? Nancy Lee, BOSTON

I think that is because the relationships have been good ones and because I care about people. I think there is something very, very sad if you are married to someone or have a relationship with somebody and then wind up enemies or hating one another. What you're doing is really cutting away a part of your own past.

10. Do you ever feel like a dirty old man? Lisa Pearl, TORONTO

Not for a moment. I'm on the side of the angels and always have been.

It is clear that this man has a perfect understanding of love. He loves women and he loves other people.

Love is pure and beautiful and can not be soiled. We all know that true love does not end.

Love is eternal.

This is what someone told me recently and the words are stuck in my ears.

When someone dies, people have a variety of reactions. I am slightly embarrassed to say that mine is quite commonly one of total disbelief.

I am a logical person. I rely on logic more than emotion to the point of disregarding my emotions when I should not. The point is, not many things escape my understanding. I accept reality and although I am hard hit by it at times, I avoid the news fastidiously, I internalize what is what and go forward.

I know what the world contains and I try very hard not to reject any part of it.

Yet when someone I love dies, I admit that I find it truly hard to believe or internalize at all.

I think about Paul and I can not believe that I won't get to see him again or talk to him again. I forget that he is gone and when I am reminded of it, I feel the shock all over again even though it was not a shock. Especially someone like him - brimming with life. Full of life. Full of joy.

But maybe it is because when someone we love dies it is only a moment before we do get to see and talk to them again. That seems right somehow. In fact, the logical side of me is telling me that if I can't make sense of it, maybe I ought to trust my intuition that he is not gone at all.

No comments: