I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Monday, February 2, 2009

What I Made for Dinner: February 2, 2009

I am too sleepy to write about all the wonderful food I ate this weekend - my first ever keeping Shabbat!!

I keep thinking about what I'm going to do Thursday night to prepare for our first effort to keep Shabbat at home. I'm daydreaming about the soup, pondering the challah and wondering about meat.

For now, here is my sister's latest:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Roast chicken with carrots and potatoes; sauteed spinach; garlic toast.

There are many things to love about my job; one of them is that I do not have to go to the office on Mondays or Tuesdays. This weekend was so busy I had no time to cook, except for competition chili. So today, I made a big roast meal. It's actually easier than it sounds, because it only takes about ten minutes to get the chicken and veggies ready to go into the oven, and then I don't have to do anything else while it cooks (which takes about two hours).

The chicken came out well, and I made an extra one so I can make a fast pasta dish, with shredded leftover chicken, later this week when I get home late from work.

I make garlic toast with Costco's roasted garlic loaf. I just split it open, brush it with olive oil, and toast it in the oven. It's delicious, but we can't think of anything creative to do with the leftovers (other than just reheating and re-serving).

I am very serious about using leftovers. I have an inner Depression-era housewife. For example, tonight's chicken will get used twice more, once for that pasta dish and once for chicken salad for lunch. Usually, when I roast chicken I boil the carcass to make stock, but not tonight because I already have a freezer door full of stock.

I will, however, be making banana muffins with the black bananas sitting on my fruit stand.
--------------------------------------------------

By the way, I told my sister to read "The Glass Castle" and if anyone should, she should - having the depression era housewife in her and all.

Come to think of it, we were raised by a woman who seems to have come near to starvation at some point in her life.

I kid you not, my pantry is always full to overflowing with food. I keep my refrigerator somewhat clean, but it too is always packed with food. I have two freezers that are always packed to the brim with food. And my mother almost always walks in my house and says, "you don't have anything to eat in here." Or, "have you gone shopping lately?"

This used to really bother me. I wanted to yell at her because it just seemed ludicrous but now I see how funny it is.

No comments: