I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Transformation

As I get older I accept that I know less and less. Put another way, the more knowledge I gain the more I realize how much I do not know.

So I have come to trust my instincts more and more and rely on them. I use logic for solving logical problems and use intuition for living a good life. This way of functioning serves me better and better the more deeply I immerse myself in it.

But I understand one of the meanings behind Passover is G-d versus nature and I'm trying to grasp the concept fully. If the idea is that Pharaoh represented Sun-worship and a predestined life that follows the laws of nature as surely as day follows night then Passover demonstrated how G-d is more powerful even than the laws of nature. G-d can turn day into night. G-d can turn water into blood, etc. etc.

So, the point of Passover is to understand that although we are part of nature, in choosing to follow our all-powerful creator who answers to no one, not even the laws of the universe which g-d created, then we too have free will and the choice to move beyond nature and decide to.... what?

This is where I get confused. And I have had 4 cups of wine tonight.

No, I don't feel well at all. But I've been thinking about all of this for a few days now.

I was hell-bent on immersing myself in the transformation available to me at this time of year and I am certain I know what has been laid out before me.

There is my nature. My most natural instinct. And there is my free will and ability to choose to elevate myself above it.

But why? I keep asking this question and it seems there is a gentle and most patient hand on my shoulder saying that I will see why soon enough.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Nature includes entropy. Thus the natural world can represent imperfection, pain, cruelty, death, the cycle of everything gradually falling apart even as it comes into existence.

If God demonstrated that He is above that process, and in so demonstrating gave humans awareness, free will, and choices, then maybe our mission is to choose to repair the entropy. Tikkun Olam, in other words. After all, wasn't that exactly what God told Moses to do?

All of this has a giant paradox at its root, though. As you say, God versus nature: but God created nature, if He didn't create himself. If God created everything, then God created both the chaos and the need to fix it. Both Pharaoh and Moses.

This is fascinating stuff. Have you ever thought about going back to rabbinnical school?