I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Defiance

There are a few actors I really like in this movie, and to hear them speaking Polish and beautifully accented English was pretty hot.

Otherwise, I have no use for this or any other movie that features a great deal of war and violence.

Chapter 31
Weapons are the tools of violence;
all decent men detest them.

Weapons are the tools of fear;
a decent man will avoid them
except in the direst necessity
and, if compelled, will use them
only with the utmost restraint.
Peace is his highest value.
If the peace has been shattered,
how can he be content?
His enemies are not demons,
but human beings like himself.
He doesn't wish them personal harm.
Nor does he rejoice in victory.
How could he rejoice in victory
and delight in the slaughter of men?

He enters a battle gravely,
with sorrow and with great compassion,
as if he were attending a funeral.

Every once in a while a book or movie about the Holocaust reminds me of the true and utter horror of being a Jew. Until I get caught back up in my own blessed, easy life, I am filled with terror in the face of what I am and will always be in this world. A Jew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you get caught up in this world, then perhaps you should be terrified, but if you get caught up in God then you won't be afraid.