I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The RowHouse Restaurant

What a fantastic treat I got last weekend! I went to my new absolute favorite restaurant in a 50 mile radius. I don't know how Topeka got this restaurant. Nothing against Topeka but this is truly a place that if I had the means to visit once a week, I would do so without hesitation.

They have a new menu each week and the food is perfection.

The starter was this little foccaccia with creme fraiche and some kind of chutney with pomegranate seeds. It was just two bites.
Next was a yummy salad but salad rarely is worth displaying in a picture so I didn't bother. It was also small and delicious.

Then came the best tomato soup I have ever had. Seriously. The best.
The vegetarian entree was a small serving of mushroom orzo with goat cheese. It was also perfection.
Then they served beef and mahi mahi. Cooked (surprise) perfectly. The best thing about this meal was that the flavors all complimented each other.
As a foodie I have had more than my share of tasting menu dinners and they usually give me quite a tummy ache because a.) there is just too much food and b.) there are too many different flavors mixed all together.

But here even though there were so many courses they were all so tiny and amazingly all the flavors and spices were complimentary. What a meal!

I know it was my first time there and I'm only in Topeka about once a month or less but I really can't wait to go back to have more of this exquisite food.

Of course I wasn't into the desserts. I really should not ever talk about dessert. I just don't like sweets.
Anyway, I'm not sure I can recommend people who live here in KC make the drive just to go to RowHouse but if you live in Lawrence - you must check this out and if you happen to be going to Topeka already please end your day here because you will be very happy.

1 comment:

Julie M. said...

Sounds delicious! Probably a bit of a drive for me though. :) And I'll consume your uneaten dessert next time. ;)