I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Row House in Topeka

Last night I had kosher pizza at BIAV. It was great! I had a good Mother's Day in general with a really fun evening on Saturday night.

I dined at the Row House in Topeka. It's a fantastic little set menu restaurant that I have talked about before and hope to talk about again. I love that they started with this yummy little bruschetta.

Next we had the salad composed of lima beans, greens, feta and chive vinaigrette. It was so delicious!

Then there was this soup. I'm telling you, this chef knows how to make the best soup on this planet. It was a Spring Greens Soup with Spinach, Scallions, and Watercress. I could have eaten that for dinner with the good bread.

The three entrees were: Brussels Sprouts and Rice Gratin with Pecans and Parmesan, Garlic and Dill Salmon, Crisp Potatoes, Red Cabbage Slaw and Beef with Parsley, Cilantro, and Mint Chimichurri, Oven Roasted Potatoes, and Carrots

The veggie option had a garnish of undercooked brussels sprouts on top which needed to be set aside - but once removed the dish was yummy. The slaw and crisp potatoes that came with salmon were great but I did not like my salmon. I don't usually like salmon, but I don't think I usually dislike it this much. The beef was perfect and delicious.

Dessert is usually wasted on me and the chocolate brownie was but the sour cream coffee cake pound cake and the champagne, raspberry and lemon sorbet were amazing!!!

Again, here are my favorite things about the Row House - and what I would say anyone should strive for when opening a little fine dining establishment.

1. The food is good enough that I don't have to order - I always just say give me the tasting menu and I know I'm going to have a damn good meal.

2. The spices and flavors of the entire meal compliment each other and the portions are very small so I leave dinner feeling good - no stomachache or terrible feeling of having eaten too much.

3. It's a cute place - it has character and I enjoy having a meal in there.

I don't think it's easy to do any of those things and that's why I really love this restaurant.








1 comment:

Julie M. said...

Welcome back to the world of food! I'm glad to hear you had a nice mothers day. That food looks amazing! Its too bad i wasn't with you. I could have easily taken care of that brownie for you. :)