I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The S.S. United States - Celebrity Infinity

It has taken me a few weeks to get up the nerve to write about our "fancy" cruise dinner.  

If you have a charity ball to go to, take me.  I love to get dressed up and go out for extreme fine dining.  Do I have the opportunity to do so often?  No I do not.

The ship we took to Alaska had only one fine-dining restaurant and I could not wait to eat there.  I have great parents who have just the same sense of fun as I do when it comes to food.

Our plan was to take our 5 course dinner in the following way.  We would discuss what items sounded good and we would order three different things for each course and share them.  Are you getting the algorithm here?  

Before I start, I'll let you know that I did not take pictures of everything - or if I did they aren't all showing up here because some of them were just not photogenic.  Still, lots of pictures to follow.

The amuse bouche  was halibut ceviche.  So promising!

Below is a something, I don't remember what but I think it's duck wrapped in pastry with a whole duck liver on top.  Not sure what to say.  Still can't believe it myself.
I don't recall exactly what this next one is - maybe a scallop?
I have zero clue what follows but I am thinking it is something prepared four different ways.  I remember it was pretty good.
If you read this blog you know I like anything with a raw egg on it which is why I ordered the salad below.  Good choice!
This next salad had heirloom tomatoes or some such and goat cheese and I believe I see caviar.  Don't recall it being too great.
I wonder what this is - maybe more duck?  Mushroom torte?  Steak? 
Below is a guy preparing some flaming filet mignon.  It was darn good!








This looks like there might have been gnocchi involved but I don't recall.  Maybe it was fish.  The main thing was the spaghetti squash on top.  Do you see that?  It was fried or something after being prepared in a sheet.  It was so good.  How did they do that?
They asked if we wanted a cheese course.  Do we want a cheese course?  HA HA HA HA!  So they gave us three plates of three different kinds of cheese each.  I'm only including one picture because cheese is not interesting-looking.  But this was my favorite part of the meal.  I think the ice cream was blue cheese with mint sprigs.  Weird... ah how I love cheese.
For dessert we had a chocolate souffle, a bourbon souffle and apple stuff prepared four ways.  All amazing although souffles aren't pretty to look at - hence no pictures.

So no, I don't remember all the different items we ate during each course but it was great fun to try so many different items and to enjoy the super fine dining experience.  Next time I go on a cruise I will bring a ball gown because people do that on cruises.  Very cool.











No comments: