I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New Fruits

I learned this weekend that we are supposed to try a new fruit for Rosh Hashanah.  Somehow I never knew this before but thanks to Whole Foods I got my hands on a dragon fruit and a custard apple.
 


Both were so amazingly good.  But I am sure they would be a thousand times more wonderful fresh from their native lands... which are where?

I love this tradition because there are still fruits I have never tried and it's exciting to think about future years when we will get something we've never seen or heard of before.

If these are the fruits that ring in the sweetness of our upcoming year then I'll tell you how the year will be.  On the one hand, on the surface things may look weird, not appetizing perhaps and even really dull and not good even.  But on the inside there will be a beautiful burst of color and wonderful flavor, wonderful sweetness - or, in the case of the custard apple, a gorgeous flowery smell and buttery, creamy flowery taste. 

There may be seeds to be spit out from the good parts, but those will be easily set aside - and these are the seeds of something wonderful so even they will be treated with care.  So I guess this will be a year of getting to the heart of things, getting past the surface to open up things to get to their goodness, their beauty, the sublime in whatever we encounter.

I'm ready.

No comments: