I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Shabbat

It was great fun on Friday to be off work at 3.  I prepared on Thursday by making challah dough and getting the food I wanted to cook on Friday.

I came home and baked challah, baked gefilte fish, made matzah ball soup, baked carrots, made kosher corn-flake crumb chicken and we enjoyed a great roasted red peper salad with all of this. 

I'd love it if every Shabbat could include a nice dinner with my parents and guests.

Saturday night I had the best dinner at Ann's.  She made acorn squash enchiladas.

I wish my kids would eat this or even try this.  It was sooooo good and healthy.

You need an acorn squash, corn tortillas, cream cheese, enchilada sauce and shredded cheese - you can also add another kind of sauce that is dark brown and smoky - some kind of pepper but I don't remember what.

You just cook the squash in the micorwave and mix the insides with an 1/8 cup of creamcheese and fill those tortillas, top with enchilada sauce and cheese and bake.

This was so good.  Maybe I will make it for dinner and just see if my kids can handle it.  My sister's kids would go nuts for it!

1 comment:

m.v. said...

wow, didn't realize you were Jewish(?)
gefilte fish I know is an all day affair.I plan to schedule a day with my aunt and write down how it's done.