I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Asparagus

Last night I made stuffed shells for me and my parents - somehow I forgot to take a picture.  But I also made what you see below (plus some fresh buffalo mozzarella).

The kids ate mostly bread and gnocchi for dinner but yes, they tried asparagus!



Noah complained the most but I think he kind of liked it whereas my daughter tried it a couple of times, saying over and over that it was truly awful.


The point is, they are trying vegetables.  Not sure what could make me happier at dinnertime.


Yet the most amazing thing happened last night when I offered some asparagus to my Dad.


He said no he would not be trying any.  I said, "but Dad, be a good role model.  Just take one."


He answered, "no, I've already tried it and I know I don't like it."


I'm not kidding.  My 6 and 8 year old tried asparagus but my grown-up Dad refused.  Right in front of my children.


It was comical to say the least.  After dinner when my Mom brought out the brownies she'd made I said to my Dad that he couldn't have any because he didn't eat any vegetables.  


It was ridiculous and I was kidding but the best part is that my daughter didn't miss a beat, she reached over slowly, took a brownie and handed it to my Dad.


She is a get-it-done kind of person.


Another blog I'm really inspired by is Kosher on a Budget and I'm going to make an effort to adopt the way she ends her blogs with questions.


Because I really do want to know what you, the reader thinks.  


Today's question is: If you have a kid who doesn't like to try new things, how have you introduced new foods with success?

2 comments:

Mara ~ Kosher on a Budget said...

Wow, thank you, Amy. I'm so flattered. And I had no idea you were blogging. I love it! You're a great writer and I'm totally enjoying your stories about your kids and all the yummy foods you make!

As for getting them to eat their veggies, well, I'm lucky that A is a really good eater and tends to set the bar high for his brother too. M sometimes turns his nose up at certain things, but surprisingly he loved the cauliflower and chick pea curry.

Mac said...

My mom used the "You're not leaving the table until you finish your vegetables" tactic. It worked. You just have to be willing to enforce it.

How are you? Your kids are growing up so quickly... :)