I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

No One Threw Up But Everyone Cried

And what more needs to be said about a dinner really?
Brussel sprouts were good.

Have I told you how to make these?  Really simple and very good.  Cut brussel sprouts in half and place them in a bowl with craisins.  Coat with olive oil,  salt and pepper then roast until they start to turn a bit brown.

Pull them out of the oven and coat with maple syrup.  Put them back in for 5 minutes.  I promise you even your kids will eat these.

See that mac and cheese?  I did not follow any recipe and it showed!

Let me share with you a really good recipe for homemade mac and cheese:

IRISH MAC N CHEESE
16 ounces rustic shaped pasta (Ziti)
2 cups whole milk
12 ounces evaporated milk
5 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/3 cup stout beer
4 ounces shredded smoked Gruyere & Gouda (vary ratio based on desired smokiness)
8 ounces shredded Irish Cheddar
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
 
In a large pot, begin water boiling for the pasta. 
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, melt 2 tbsp. butter.  Brown bread crumbs in the butter then set aside. 
Boil pasta and cook until just al dente. Drain and keep warm. 
In a medium bowl, stir together milks and microwave to warm. 
In a 4 quart saucepan, over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter and stir in flour until it begins to color slightly, whisk in hot milk, mustard, salt, cayenne, and stout, and bring to a strong simmer. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheeses until melted. Place pasta into serving dish and pour the cheese sauce over the pasta.

No comments: