I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

My First Baked Brie....heaven!!!

Happy New Year!!  It's 2011.  Yesterday I made baked brie which is decidedly one of the most delicious things available to eat in this world. 


It is so easy to make.  I bought Peppridge Farm puff pastry from the freezer section and a big round of brie.  I used Polaner dark cherry all fruit, chopped walnuts, brown sugar and maple syrup.

I rolled out the dough, which I had defrosted and placed the brie on top of it. 

On top of the brie I spread out a thick layer of cherry jam and sprinkled the walnuts on top and then wrapped up the brie.

I put a handful of brown sugar on top of that and started to put it in a 350 degree oven.

My Mom was there and advised me to smooth out the lumps first so I did that but after about 20 minutes in the oven we saw the brown sugar was not melting so I took out the brie and poured a little maple syrup on top of the sugar.

I put it back in for 5 minutes and everything melted nicely.

If I make this again I will use sweeter nuts, like pecans although the walnuts worked great.  Or I will use no nuts and instead place pomegranate seeds on the jam for crunch.  This was suggested to me by the biggest Foodie I know who doesn't realize he is a Foodie.



1 comment:

Ann Pai said...

Dude, pull out the stops - you can get a bag of candied pecans in the Hy-Vee produce section. MMMMMMMMM. Or, oo, how about making a caramel apple and then breaking the bits of apple with caramel still on them?