I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Auntie Jo's Banana Bread (Cake)

This is not bread.  It is cake.  But if you want to call it bread I have no beef with you.  It is totally delicious and is the best thing you can do with mushy bananas.
Here is the recipe I used - it's a little different from my sister's.  Mainly because I'm not much for measuring.

Mash up a couple of bananas with some milk, 2 eggs, some vanilla, and a stick of butter.  Dump in 2 cups of flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, some baking powder and a little salt.  Stir it up and put it in a greased loaf pan.  Cook it at 350 for an hour.  Serve it warmed up with butter on it.  Like it's bread.  Ha!


So I have lost my loaf pan.  This meant that I sent Noah running around to all the neighbors asking if we could borrow one of theirs.  In the end I'm not the only one who has lost their loaf pan!  There are loaf pan elves in my cul-de-sac!

So I made two small loaves.  My son picked one up and took a bite out of it as if that was his whole piece.  I laughed, took it away and cut him a slice because hey - he doesn't really need 3000 calories for breakfast.  Or maybe he does.

The secret to this being the best banana bread (cake!) ever is that the "dough" is totally wet.  The cake is beyond moist - it is almost the consistency of a pudding type item.  I mean, it holds together but it is soft and squishy.  

Best banana loaf EVER!

1 comment:

Will England said...

Nice! Stolen! (great timing too, cause I've got a bunch of bannanas getting soft on the counter)