I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Kashrut has taken over my life

Well, of course it has.  It's only been week and I'm seeing menu items at Panera and almost crying.

Why am I doing this?  I don't think I should post that here but since I haven't been writing about what I've been eating for some reason, I will write about what I see as the spectrum of keeping kosher.

On one side is not keeping kosher at all.
On the other side is not eating anywhere but your own home where you know for sure the food is Kosher including any dairy products - marked chalav yisrael.

The fascinating thing is that there are levels in between.

The closest to not keeping kosher is "kosher style" which means that you don't eat pork or shellfish and maybe you don't eat cheeseburgers.  Some people who keep kosher style really make a point of not eating meat at the same time as they eat dairy.

But most of those people eat non-kosher meat.  So then the next notch up is where I'm hanging out these days.  Start with kosher-style and add that I will only eat kosher meat.

Seems fairly strict but it isn't at all because the next step up is that you will not eat at restaurants unless they are Kosher.  At this level you have separate plates, silverware and cookware for milk meals and meat meals.  So you can't go to a restaurant because even if you don't eat meat - your plate has probably touched meat.  This is hardcore.  And remember - it's not even the end of the spectrum.

You see where I am in all this and you can imagine that it's not that bad - fish and eggs don't count as meat so that helps.

But really - this is hard.

1 comment:

javthrowr said...

There's the keep kosher in the home, but not out level too. I just wish kosher meat wasn't so expensive!