I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Vending Machines


A little known fact about me is that I am obsessed with vending machines.  After the pictures of the food on the plane, which I have decided not to share with you, although it was really good kosher food, this picture was one of my first taken after arriving in the Holy land. 

If I had my way there would be a lot more vending machines everywhere and they would have all kinds of stuff in them.   The truth is, I will have my way but it's hard to tell exactly when.  Maybe not for a good many years.
That's really off topic.  The point is that there are lots of fun, delicious Israeli snack foods to be had.  I don't know what most of them are but trust me on this one - they are good!

A word about food.  I'm still making it and still eating it.  In fact, now that we have a Trader Joe's here I am having a lot more fun doing that plus the buying of it as well.  But I gained a few beliefs in Israel that have made it difficult for me to write about food.

For now, I can't seem to write about anything without talking about religion.  So, I'll go ahead.

The most amazing idea about G-d I have ever heard is so simple and obvious that I can't believe I never thought of it before.  What does it mean that there is only one G-d?  It means that our one G-d lacks nothing.  Has no limitations.  Our one G-d is perfection.  

And what does that mean?  It means that there is absolutely nothing we can give G-d.  Can you imagine this?  All we can do is take from G-d.  And all G-d does is give to us.  What is the most amazing gift that G-d gave us?  Life.  And what does G-d want for us?  Life.  

What does that mean?  It means living aware.  Living.  Not sleepwalking.  Being awake and aware of being alive.  Every moment.

Can you see why I'm having food issues?  Well, it's not just food.  Everything seems different.  Blogging my thoughts for the sole purpose of writing practice now seems bizarre.  I write a private journal, why should I publish anything?   That's not modest.  

But I enjoy sharing my thoughts so here I am.  And at this rate I'll have shown you all of my food pictures from Israel by the end of 2012...

No comments: