I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Kosher Burgers

Twice when I was in Israel I had burgers.  I still claim to make the best kosher hamburgers around but I sure did have fun at this burger joint.

I vaguely remember helping to polish a bottle of wine before we arrived there and taking a lot of video of the chefs.  I even remember one of the chefs offering to take us next door for tequila shots but I think I was more in the mood for an early night.

My idea of night life in Israel was going to the Kotel at 2 a.m. and praying.
The next time I had a burger was in the airport on the way home and I did it for two reasons.  One was slight homesickness and the other was an experiment.



15 years ago when I visited Israel as a 21 year-old recent college graduate I took a one hour walk across Tel Aviv by myself and had the dumb idea to pop in to McDonald's for a burger.  It was not kosher.


And I got the worst food poisoning I've ever had in my life.  I was sick for four or five days.  And I couldn't even stand the thought of eating at McDonald's for years.  One of my favorite guilty pleasures!  And I couldn't eat it for years!  Not sure when I got over that but I did.

So imagine how excited I was to have a kosher burger, which in my mind reduces my chances of getting food poisoning greatly.



But sadly, a kosher burger tastes more like something you would get at a bbq than a real McDonald's experience.  Yes, it tasted like 100% Kosher beef and that just isn't McDonald's.a

No comments: