I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey

Time to take a pause to do a little book review. 

To give context I am usually reading five books at all times.  I like to read fiction and non-fiction and I like to read religious books.  I like to read humorous books.  For example, I recently read This is a Book and Let's Pretend this Never Happened both of which were laugh-out-loud funny.  I would recommend you buy "This is a Book" by Demetri Martin as a gift for anyone who likes to laugh and try to be near them when they read it so you can listen to them crack up.

Right now I'm reading The Maze Runner because my son asked me to.  I'm also reading Holy Woman: The Road to Greatness of Rebbetzin Chaya Sara Kramer, Olive Kitteredge (which won the Pulitzer Prize) and 50 Shades of Grey.


Listen, I'm a huge snob.  I want to read Pulitzer Prize winning fiction, and I have almost no tolerance for anything that I deem the reading equivalent of eating junk food.  I want to read books that move me in a deep way and nourish my soul.  Which is why my friend Ann Pai who wrote My Other Body needs to write the sequel.  She is a brilliant writer and I have to read another book by her now! Anyone who has not yet done so needs to read her work.  She's a genius!


Back to the best-selling trilogy that I want to discuss.  First of all, someone told me to read this and I think it was someone who knows me so I'm not sure why they recommended it other than that they think I'm a pervert.  Which I know for sure I'm not after reading this book.  My main takeaway from 50 Shades is that it drives me insane to read British English on the mind and mouth of supposedly American characters.  I'm serious.  I can't get past each mistake.  Each time she turns a phrase that is British when her characters are supposed to be American I want to get my highlighter out and start documenting her errors.  


Why did they publish the book like this?  I want to interview her editor and ask why they couldn't just make these small changes in order to not drive people like me crazy.  It's blush not flush.  It's damn not bloody.  No one looks smart in America because they have a nice outfit on.  Etc. etc. etc.


What I want to know is why people love these books.  The only answer I can come up with is that the people who love this series don't normally read books.  You know what I would pay to read?  I'd pay to read a non-fiction book written by a young woman whose first boyfriend was a freak like this.

That would be an interesting read. 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy - It's Sara, I thought "50 Shades..." was terribly BORING. For the curious, save your time and read a book about the mating rituals of rabbits. At least it will be written well and educating. I'm a third into a book called "The Scorpio Races" and so far I've really enjoyed it. It's wonderfully moody and has lovely metaphors. I highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

Favorite line so far: he's naked except for those soft ripped jeans.

Good to know I can describe people as naked except for the clothes they are wearing!