I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Friday, May 17, 2013

Salty, Salty

I was looking up how to stop the swelling in my feet and hands and found that I should reduce the sodium in my diet.

That probably sounds really obvious to most people but for some reason I have never tried to drastically reduce the sodium in my diet.  It's really difficult.

If you want to make 100% sure that you don't surpass the amount of sodium you should eat in a day you have to start by not eating much processed food.

And you can't add salt to anything you cook.

It's not impossible though and I noticed a huge difference after only two days.  I wonder, in fact, if people who are trying to lose weight would do better to make sure they don't exceed the amount of sodium they should have in a day instead of caring about calories.  I'm guessing it would work.

But like I said, you can't eat or drink much of anything that is already made.  You have to cook your food from scratch and not add salt.  Mrs. Dash is my new buddy in the kitchen.

It's not impossible to do this.  Last night hubs wanted mac and cheese, which we both love but when I looked at our beloved Kraft I found that a serving is 30% of your daily sodium intake which is totally insane.  So I boiled some pasta and made a sauce.  It was good.  I used milk, butter, cheese, pepper and a little bit of flour.  Cheese does have salt in it but you could tell that the final product was not so salty.  It was pretty good.

This goes hand-in-hand with a "whole foods" diet - again, not eating processed foods.

I suppose tonight I won't be too strict because it is Shabbat, but I might just eat a baked potato with yogurt instead of what I'm feeding the rest of the family.

Jr. appreciates the low sodium so much, he lets me sleep at night!

1 comment:

Average Jane said...

I've cut down on a lot of inflammation and puffiness by dropping dairy from my diet. It was SO HARD to give up cheese, but I noticed a difference almost immediately.