I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Things I am Curious About

One thing I have been thinking about for many, many years is the concept of different languages and how we really know when two languages are different.

Keep in mind I have a degree in Linguistics so I'm not thinking about this in some kind of theoretical passing sense.

I have learned through my studies that Linguists will claim two languages are unrelated when they clearly are because of politics and this has led me to develop my own theory of related languages.

If you can't understand someone speaking a language then their language is different from yours.

Take English and German for example because they have a lot of similar words and you can understand those words sometimes if you are an English speaker listening to German or vice versa.

But I know those are different languages because I can't understand a German speaker as a native speaker of English.

I understand that native speakers of Norwegian and Swedish can understand each other.  I understand that native speakers of Italian and Spanish can understand each other.  So what makes these languages wholly different from each other?

When an American listens to someone from England usually he can understand 95 to 99% of what is being said but why do we classify these languages as both English?  Are they more similar than Norwegian and Swedish?

I looked it up and found this:
90% of the words in swedish is also in the norwegian. we don't always understand each other, and norwegians understand the two other languages better.

Fig. A. an understanding of spoken language

Norwegians understand 88% of the spoken swedish language
understand 73% of the spoken danish language

Swedes understand 48% of the spoken norwegian language
understand 23% of the spoken danish language

Danes understand 69% of the spoken norwegian language
understand 43% of the spoken swedish language

Fig. B. An understanding of the written language

Norwegians understand 89% of the written swedish language
understand 93% of the written danish language

Swedes understand 86% of the written norwegian language
understand 69% of the written danish language

Danes understand 89% of the written norwegian language
understand 69? of the written swedish language.


I wonder if there is any truth to this and how it can be that Norwegians understand more of the other two languages.

But again, I think all native speakers of any English language understand American English better than we understand British, Scottish or Australian because, except for southern American English or any other heavily accented American English, American English is spoken rather slowly and clearly.

I would like to be able to learn all the various languages that are close enough to be understood by each others speakers to determine if the classification of these languages as wholly separate versus dialects is based solely on politics as I predict it is.

I'd love to hear what other people think who speak Spanish but can understand Italian for example or have other example languages that I haven't heard about.

The other thing I am curious about is the idea of honesty when you are communicating.

I think there is a difference between honesty and negativity.  The idea is energy.  Did you ever notice that some things give you energy and some things take away your energy?  The feeling of being energized is a positive feeling.

You can accomplish things.   When you feel inspired by a person or a book or an idea or an object or an experience you feel you have more energy and you want to act and of course with enough energy you feel you can do anything!

When someone is yelling at you or complaining or you see something sad or witness something awful you feel de-energized.  You feel hopeless and like you just want to curl up in a ball, right?

The power of negative energy is strong as well.  When a person is negative, you don't like them and don't want to be around them and you certainly don't want to listen to them.

As a parent I try to remember that when my kids do things I don't like that I can focus them on what I want, not complain to them about what they did that I don't like.

It's the power of positivity.  I think that there is a force of sucking out life in negativity.  I think that it is easy to make the decision to block out negative people from your life.  But what if someone claims that they are the voice of honesty?

I think a person's opinion, when negative, is necessarily dishonest because it is colored with an energy that saps life and there is no honesty in that.  Everyone knows that there are two sides to every story and good in every bad as well as bad in every good.  It is the way things are.

There is unlimited power in being positive and we should all be certain that our honesty is rooted in that belief so that we are a force for good in this world and not destruction.

I wonder why some people choose to criticize others when their thoughts could be rerouted in positive ways to create positive outcomes.



No comments: