I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Banana bread

This is my sister's recipe and I make it from time to time but it turned out more delicious than ever before so I decided to post about it.

It's not really banana bread and even her recipe calls it Banana Chocolate Chip Cake but I've never tried making it into a round shape or even cup cakes.  Still, I do know that it would be delightful like that frosted or with whipped cream on it.

I've altered her recipe a little so you can see how I make it:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
As many mushy bananas as you have - 2-3 at least but 4 or 5 is ok.
2 Tblsp milk - I just poured in some 1/2 and 1/2 so it was probably more that 2 T
1 stick of butter  - her recipe calls for 1 1/2 but I just can't
3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x5x5 loaf pan with Pam 

Beat the heck out of those bananas and add cream or milk.  Throw in the stick of butter, then the sugar then the eggs and vanilla and beat the heck out of that.

Make a mixture of the flour, baking powder and salt and add that by hand a little at a time until it is mixed in. Don't over mix!!  Add chocolate chips in the same way and get it into the pan and into the oven for about an hour.

What I figured out by making this with so much mushy banana was that the batter was thick and so it held the chocolate chips in place evenly throughout which was great (I always go light on the choco chips).  I also found that the bananas really caramelize and the end result was amazing!

No comments: