I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Breakfast Gift

Last night was unbelievably sleepless in spite of the fact that my husband was home from his latest overseas business trip, which is always a tremendous relief.

I had my first experience last night since moving to California of feeling something really familiar which reminded me of how it felt living in Kansas.  We were expecting a big storm.  The schools called to say they were canceled for the next day.  We were sitting and waiting for something to happen but it was warm out and nothing was going on outside.

I went to bed at a reasonable hour but before I could fall asleep the wind started.  Marshal was already sound asleep and I had to wake him to talk about plans.  Where would it be safe to go in our house if the winds started breaking windows?  Were we sure there were no tornadoes in California?

I reminded him that if the wind sounds like that in Kansas you go to the basement to sleep.

We realized the only room in our house that doesn't have windows is the pantry under the stairs.

It howled and raged and picked up speed all throughout the night.  I barely drifted in and out of sleep. Waiting for a crash outside or inside or a child to wake up and need comforting.

By 5 am I couldn't keep trying to sleep.

I looked at the weather forecast online and saw what was swirling around on the coast.  By 6 it had started to pour in addition to the wind.

By 8 we had flood warning alerts blaring around town.

But none of that is why I am posting.  At some point in my fitful night of little sleep I had a dream about making an amazing breakfast.  I mentioned it to Marshal that I would make him something special in the morning, but once we were awake it didn't seem all that special.

Still, I set to work trying to come up with whatever it was I was dreaming about.

After three tries I think I have something you'll want to try.  Seems like a little bacon basket to me but since it's the holidays and it also looks like a present we'll call it the Breakfast Gift.

You will need:
Turkey bacon (or whatever)
Eggs
Cheddar cheese
Sourdough bread
A popover pan

Cook the bacon until it is almost done but not at all stiff.  Toast the bread and then cut a round out of it.  Grease the popover pan and cover with two strips of bacon across each other, you'll have 4 bits of bacon hanging over the side.  Place the toast on top of the bacon and push to the bottom, then cover with cheddar cheese.   Crack your egg onto the cheese and cross your bacon on top so it looks like a little gift.  Bake at 400 degrees for 7 or 8 minutes depending on how soft you like your eggs.

It's really simple and good and looks really pretty.  Make it your own recipe by adding what you like and send me pictures!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sounds yummie!