I am a writer and a Mommy. I am a devout Jew. These are the most important books I have read: The Tao te Ching by Lao Tzu, Stephen Mitchell translation. Spiritual Divorce by Debbie Ford. Living Inspired by Akiva Tatz. My kitchen would suggest I'm a closet carny, as would my love of Branson.

Friday, September 18, 2015

Cassava

Have you ever thought about tapioca? It's a starch from a root and it's used as a thickening agent or in everything gluten-free that has to be like bread in some way.  

I've been eating a lot of tapioca starch lately because I'm not eating bread and whatnot for the most part so I decided to find out what tapioca really is.  

Guess what?!  It has a whole lot of cyanide in it!!!  To be fair, lots of foods do and basically you just have to prepare it exactly right (or it will give you goiters or just kill you).

Seems a little risky to me.

I actually absolutely love the gelatinous stuff made from tapioca, I just didn't even know that's what those things were made of.  I only got curious about this ingredient because it's in that pizza crust I can eat and those crackers too.

But then when I looked up how to prepare the thing, the root vegetable, it's all about lots of cyanide in there, which is not edible.  It is really not good for living things!

Still, you know the gelatinous stuff in a falooda?  It is tapioca!  I love tapioca!  But now I am afraid of tapioca.

In happier news, today I tried a new fruit called Jack fruit which is so yummy.  The world is full of so many wonderful plants to enjoy.  I'm going to need a bigger garden!

No comments: